May 13, 2015

Good Christians Say Yes

There's a need for service positions in the church, yes! There's a new group being formed, yes! There's a need for group leaders, yes! There is an opportunity to lead Bible studies, yes! There is a new book that can help you grow in your faith, yes! Isn't that the way that Christians are seen a lot of the time, as people who say yes at every opportunity because that is the 'good and right' thing to do? Not necessarily.

"Trust (lean on, rely on, and be confident) in the Lord and do good; so shall you dwell in the land and feed surely on His faithfulness, and truly you shall be fed." (Psalm 37:3 AMP)

Sometimes saying yes to all of these things makes us unconsciously say no to God and what He has for us. When we put ourselves so much into our horizontal relationships, groups, and commitments that it causes us to lack our vertical commitment to invaluable time with God, following His will, and making sure we are prioritizing correctly in accordance with His guidance, this can lead to a discontent heart. Don't get me wrong...church service, Bible studies, groups, reading to grow in your relationship with Christ...all of these are beautiful and wonderful things. I will openly say these are all things I take part in. And so much more. But I am slowly learning to say no, and I'm learning that it's not a negative thing, it's not a selfish thing, and it's not something that you should feel guilty about. 

“Are you tired? Worn out? Burned out on religion? Come to me. Get away with me and you’ll recover your life. I’ll show you how to take a real rest. Walk with me and work with me—watch how I do it. Learn the unforced rhythms of grace. I won’t lay anything heavy or ill-fitting on you. Keep company with me and you’ll learn to live freely and lightly.” (Matthew 11:28 MSG)

We can only give so many yes's to other things and people, and can only take so many no's for ourselves in the process. What good can we truly be for others (or even for God) if we are not taking care of ourselves? What good are we to others if we are not pouring into our own time and relationship with God? By saying yes to service and being included in fellowship and activities, we are doing something that very much pleases God and that definitely brings us great joy and reward. However, there does still need to be a balance between what we commit to outside of our home, and what we are doing inside of our own hearts and minds.


John 10:10 - "I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full."

 

No comments:

Post a Comment