February 15, 2013

Do Not Be Afraid

I thought someone else worded everything perfectly for me today, and this goes so well with the season I am in. So I am going to give credit where credit is due, and just share with you the February 15, 2013 devotional from "Words of Hope". They truly are wonderful and inspirational writers. This one is by Joy Petroelje.

Do Not Be Afraid

The LORD is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? (v. 1)

What are you afraid of? What worries invade your thoughts and keep you up at night? Perhaps it is the unknown, possible illness, or the loss of someone important to you. Maybe you are afraid of failure, unmet expectations, or even the darkness that falls each night.

Fear can shake our confidence. It may make us question the present and be apprehensive about the future.  The writer of Psalm 27 had every reason to fear for his very life. He was surrounded by is enemies, threatened by evildoers, the victim of slander. War raged around him. He felt as though his own mother and father had turned away from him.

When we are afraid we often seek comfort in  something or someone. We may either go home or run away. We may seek hope in things that do not last or turn to destructive behaviors to try to forget our fears. The psalmist took a different approach. He chose to turn to the only true source of comfort, the Lord. In God's presence he found confidence, beauty, and singing. God alone provided acceptance, a level path, and safe refuge.

The next time you are fearful, consider the safe and secure comfort of a loving God. Through his word and faithfulness, the Lord provides a sense of security like no other. When you know you are his child, you do not need to be afraid.

Prayer: Loving Father, I give you my fear, and I delight in your comfort.



No comments:

Post a Comment